The European Commission has concluded today that the Belgian “excess profit” tax scheme is illegal under EU state aid rules. It gave tax reductions of around 700 million euros to at least 35, mainly European companies. Belgium now has to recover the unpaid tax from the companies concerned.
- Statement by Commissioner Margrethe Vestager (EC)
- State aid: Commission concludes Belgian “Excess Profit” tax scheme illegal; around €700 million to be recovered from 35 multinational companies (EC)
- Europese Commissie: België bevoordeelde multinationals (Europa nu)
- EU bestraft 35 multinationals in België om belastingvoordeel (NRC)
- Belgium tax scheme illegal, commission says (EU Observer)
- Bedrijven moeten België 700 miljoen terugbetalen (NOS)
- EU shuts down Belgium tax breaks for multinationals (euractiv)